Ubuntu, the operating system made by a community, not a corporate, has recently announced plans to release a mobile version of the operating system, giving users the ability to converge phone, PC and thin client into a single enterprise ‘superphone’.
Ubuntu claims to raise the bar for mobile UI design by using all four edges of the screen for a more immersive experience. The beautifully distilled interface will have a unique full PC capability when docked with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
The handset interface for Ubuntu introduces distinctive new user experiences to the mobile market, including:
- Edge magic: thumb gestures from all four edges of the screen enable users to find content and switch between apps faster than other phones.
- Deep content immersion – controls appear only when the user wants them.
- A beautiful global search for apps, content and products
- Voice and text commands in any application for faster access to rich capabilities
- Both native and web or HTML5 apps
- Evolving personalised art on the welcome screen.